Evolving doctests for changing output format

nriley at gmail.com nriley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 22:31:56 EST 2007

Hi,

I've got a number of doctests which rely on a certain output format,
and since I wrote the tests I've changed the output format.  Now,
almost all the tests fail.

What I'd like is if I could get doctest to take my tests, and
substitute the obtained output for the provided output.  Then, I could
in this case just replace the doctest file with the generated file, or
in general be able to run it through a file comparison tool so I could
examine the differences.

If it's not clear from the above, here's an example, assuming for the
sake of simplicity that Python somehow changed its default output base
between runs.

INPUT:
>> 10 + 10
20

OUTPUT:
>> 10 + 10
0x14

Is it possible to use doctest in such a "run-only" mode, or script the
above using its API?  I read the documentation several times but just
got further confused (sorry!).

Thanks,

--Nicholas