distutils and ctypes

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 14:38:51 EST 2007

jtravs at gmail.com wrote:

> So finally, my question is, is there a way to get distutils to simply
> build a shared library on windows so that I can use ctypes with them???

Not out-of-box, no. The OOF2 project has added a bdist_shlib command which
should do most of what you want, though. It's somewhat UNIX-oriented, and I
think it tries to install the shared library to a standard location (e.g.
/usr/local/lib). You might want to modify it to install the shared library in
the package so it is easy to locate at runtime.

  http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/oof/oof2/
  http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/oof/oof2/source/oof2-2.0.1.tar.gz

The code is in the shlib/ subdirectory.

--