How can I write code using FP

Alejandro Dubrovsky dubrovsky at physics.uq.edu.au
Tue Jan 16 23:10:31 EST 2007

kernel1983 wrote:

> In Function Program?Language can use like this:
>
> define a function:
> f = lambda x,y:x,y
>
> then we use f to define another function:
> f2 = f(1)
> the f2 should equal to:
> f2=lambda y:1,y
>
> we should be able call f2 with one parameter:f2(2)
> just return 1,2
>
> but how can I implement the characteristic in Python??I think it could
> do like this but HOW-TO?

If you are using python 2.5, then you can use functools.partial, otherwise
lookup one of the many curry implementations, like the ones found in
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/52549

One found in the comments of that page by Scott David Daniels:

def curry(*args, **kwargs):
    function, args = args[0], args[1:]
    def result(*rest, **kwrest):
        combined = kwargs.copy()
        combined.update(kwrest)
        return function(*args + rest, **combined)
    return result

so, in your case:

f = lambda x,y: (x,y)
f2 = functools.partial(f,1)