program deployment

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Jan 5 08:58:11 EST 2007

king kikapu wrote:

>> Python code is normally deployed as straight source code.
>
> But isn't this a problem of its own ?? I mean, many people do not feel
> good if the know that their source code is lying around on other
> machines...

This has been discussed a bazillion times on this list - the summary is (at
least from my POV):

 - it is possible to decompyle python pretty easy. So, spare yourself the
hassle just distributing only the pyc

 - it is easy enough to hack even C-written apps, if anything is _worth_
being hacked, it will be hacked

 - 99% of all code isn't worth being hacked or ripped. Really. Even though
the result of cobbling together lots of unimaginative code might be
impressive, there are only very few areas of coding (like e.g.
sophisticated compression algorithms and the like) that are worth ripping -
the rest is bound to be runnable in one app only anyway, as it is coupled
closely

 - if you have something you really, really, really need to be as secure as
possible, go use a remote service - otherwise, it _will_ be compromised.

Diez