Newbie question: SMTP -> SQL Server

jrpfinch jrpfinch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 11:12:14 EST 2007

Thank you.  I have just realised I completely misunderstand how SMTP
servers work.  From what I can tell, when you run the cookbook script
it listens locally on port 8025.

You then have to configure a Linux (in my case) account with a username
and password so my external piece of software (on another Windows
machine) can log in and use the SMTP server.

Then I write the some code in the cookbook example to redirect any mail
content to the MS SQL server database.

Note that the external piece of software can only talk SMTP - this is
why I am having to develop this script.

Does this sound sensible?  Any tips on how to configure my Linux box (I
don't have much experience with Linux either)?

Many thanks

Jon