A question about unicode() function

JTree eastera at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 02:07:08 EST 2007

Hi,

I changed my codes to:

#!/usr/bin/python
#Filename: test.py
#Modified: 2007-01-01

import cPickle as p
import urllib
import htmllib
import re
import sys

funUrlFetch =  lambda url:urllib.urlopen(url).read()

objUrl = raw_input('Enter the Url:')
content = funUrlFetch(objUrl)
content = content.encode('gb2312','ignore')
print content
content.close()

I used "ignore" to deal with the data lose, but it still caused a
error:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c python tianya.py
Enter the Url:http://www.tianya.cn
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tianya.py", line 17, in ?
    content = content.encode('gb2312','ignore')
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xbb in position
88: ordinal not in range(128)
shell returned 1
Hit any key to close this window...

My python version is 2.4, Does it have some problems with asian
encoding support?

Thanks!