program deployment

Stephen Eilert spedrosa at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 13:55:20 EST 2007

king kikapu wrote:
> Ok, i got the point...Things are a little bit different on the other
> way of the fence (Microsoft way...) and so many of Python's elements
> are a little (at least) strange at first...
>
> But hey, thank you all!

Not really!

Of course you do not distribute .cs (or .vb) files when deploying your
application, but decompilers for .NET are plenty. Same for Java.

For C and the like, it is a little trickier, but the "decompiler" can
and will produce equivalent code. Better yet, just disassemble it.

What is done nowadays to make people's life harder (as in, they cannot
just copy and paste code) is to use an obfuscator. Are there any for
Python?

This is completely and utterly useless for passwords, though. If you
need to protect something, encrypt it. If it is on a server, you can
control access to the file via filesystem permissions.

Do not expect to keep the password secret if you are distributing it,
though :) I've cracked C programs, Clipper and Java almost
effortlessly. They were all custom programs where the sole developer
would put a password for administrative functions, just to be able to
charge money long after it was deployed.

Stephen