Tools Designing large/complicated applications

Torabisu tpawley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 07:50:40 EST 2007

Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:
> For those of you that work on larger applications but still code in
> python... do your development teams use any tools to facilitate the
> design? (i'm not asking about editors here, i'm really asking about
> software design tools)  Are these the same tools you would use to help
> engineer software in another language?
>
> Is there anyone here who is forced to use a tool to design python
> software that completely hates it?  Why do you hate it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -carl
>

> --
>
> Carl J. Van Arsdall
> cvanarsdall at mvista.com
> Build and Release
> MontaVista Software

Our software architects use Enterprise Architect.  Its probably one of
the cheaper modeling and UML design applications, but loaded with
features.  They do all the use cases, analysis and design with it, then
give us the necessary flow / activity diagrams and information that we
then use to construct our python applications.  It does have a python
interface (and obviously c, c#, java, php etc etc) allowing python code
to be imported for class design etc etc.

I've played with a few open source UML based tools, but unfortunately
its not one of my strengths, I leave that up to the guys that know it
well.