C/C++, Perl, etc. to Python converter

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Wed Jan 3 20:52:07 EST 2007

> I think that it *is* possible to do it, but a whole lot of work had to
> be done to achieve this. It is all about how many rules (like how to
> convert this block of unreadable code of language X into a readable
> python block) you are willing to find/program (and these are a lot). It
> is a almost gigantic task to make this work proper, but it definitely
> *is* possible.

It is definitely _not_ possible. There are so many design decisions that
are differing based on what a language offers - e.g. generators, garbage
collection, precise control over memory layout and so on.

Projects like jython or ironpython show that to some degree at least
binary compatibility is feasible - but beyond that, machine generated
cod will always be that, and by no means idiomatic.

Diez