Why does Python never add itself to the Windows path?

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 05:52:53 EST 2007

robert wrote:
> Ben Sizer wrote:
> > My opinion is that this is not as big a problem as some may feel that
> > it is. Unlike Unix systems, the PATH variable is rarely used.
>
> It is a big problem.
>
> It is not less than the majority of Python users (at least those who do things on the command line) who deal with multiple Python versions.

So you think most Python users have more than one version of Python
installed? I disagree - but even if it is true, how come this isn't a
big problem on Unix? Can you name a single distribution that doesn't
install Python to the path?

> This would create funny PATH variables - almost a "psychic behavior with history".

It is quite trivial to see if Python is already on the path, and act
differently based on that.

> Windows is at all less a multi user system. I don't even know a case where two (Python) Programmers use _one_ box and then also want separate Python's - just know home mates (parasites) who occasionally share the web browser or so...

So... that's another reason why there's rarely a problem in setting
that PATH variable.

> Linking also a default python.exe into the system32 upon a (non-default) checkbox mark in the installer should be simple, clear and do everything what 99.9% want - and most "compatible" to *nix.

No, it doesn't : the /scripts directory is also important for many
Python packages and that isn't addressed by shifting python.exe into
system32.

--
Ben Sizer