Doing date/time + TZ math in python

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Fri Jan 5 19:44:01 EST 2007

I've read docs (datetime, time, pytz, mx.DateTime), googled, and
experimented.  I still don't know how to accomplish what I want to
accomplish.

I'm loading up a bunch of date/time data that I then need to do math on to
compare it to the current date/time.  I can get the current time easily
enough:

currentTime = datetime.datetime.now(pytz.timezone('America/Anchorage'))

Then, I want to import data/time pairs that are in "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"
format.

So, I do:

For each loop, extract time data, blah, blah, then:
readingTime = datetime.datetime(rYr, rMo, rDay, rHr, rMin, rSec,
tzinfo=pytz.timezone('America/Anchorage'))

The problem is, how do I create a datetime object and tell it that it's
America/Anchorage *daylight savings time* instead of whatever the system is
currently set at?  pytz only has America/Anchorage, and I saw no way to
tell it explicitly that the timezone is in Daylight instead of Standard
time (e.g. using AKST vs. AKDT for the time zone).

I'm sure there is a way to do it, and I'm sure it's quite simple, but it
hasn't jumped out at me yet.  Is there a module that I haven't seen that
would be better suited for this?

Thanks!

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer