The reliability of python threads

Paddy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Thu Jan 25 14:50:02 EST 2007

On Jan 25, 7:36 pm, n... at cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

> |> Nah, Its a great strategy. it keeps you up and running when all you
> |> know for sure is that you will most likely be able to keep things
> |> together for three months normally.
> |>
> |> The OP only thinks its a threading problem - it doesn't matter what the
> |> true fix will be, as long as arranging to re-start the server well
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> |> before its likely to go down doesn't take too long, compared to your
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> |> exploration of the problem, and, of course, you have to be able to
> |> afford the glitch in availability.
>
> Consider the marked phrase in the context of a Poisson process failure
> model, and laugh.  If you don't understand why I say that, I suggest
> finding out the properties of the Poisson process!
>
> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.
No, you should think of the service that needs to be up. You seem to be
talking about how it can't be fixed rather than looking for ways to
keep things going. A little learning is fine but "it can't
theoretically be fixed" is no solution.
With a program that stays up for that long, the situation will usualy
work out for the better when either software versions are upgraded, or
OS and drivers are upgraded. (Sometimes as a result of the analysis,
sometimes not).

Keep your eye on the goal and your more likely to score!

- Paddy.