C++/Python programmers for a MUD's gamedriver wanted.

Sat Jan 6 12:42:37 EST 2007

"Rythin" <rythin at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1168102038.680286.73330 at 42g2000cwt.googlegroups.com...
> Hi everyone.
> We are looking for a volunteer co-programmers for a MUD's gamedriver
> project. As of now, a gamedriver is divided into two separate but
> tightly interconnected systems - C++ driver and Python lib.
>
> C++ Driver is supposed to be managing memory, proccesses and
> communication between them (transparent as far as net is concerned).
> Python lib is to define the user's interfaces. Both of them are
> designed to work in an object-oriented enviroment, with lib's classes
> being driver's child-classes.

Have you considered whether the C++ Driver is even necessary?  Python's
run-time engine already implements the memory and process management tasks,
and does so in compiled C code (and has been tested and retested by
hundreds, nay thousands, perhaps even millions of Python users).
Interprocess communication can be done using CORBA or Pyro add-ons.

You may do better by "letting Python be Python" instead of confining it to
limited user graphical and/or text interaction, and then
marshaling/unmarshaling commands and responses to and from the C++ layer.
Before getting too wrapped up in the C++ core/utility layer, get this (or a
prototype) running in pure Python first, measure the performance, and then
reimplement in C/Pyrex/ShedSkin/C++ for the performance-intensive bits.

-- Paul