Python does not play well with others

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Wed Jan 24 14:59:51 EST 2007

Chris Mellon wrote:
> On 1/24/07, John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> wrote:
>
>> Harry George wrote:
>> > John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> writes:

> Just to be clear: The problem here is "my personal itch is not being
> scratched by other people for me", not "Python doesn't play well with
> others". You are not any more important than anyone else and assuming
> that anyone cares about your problems is a major fallacy. You have a
> specific library that doesn't meet your needs, and that you are not
> interested in maintaining yourself, so you are attempting to leverage
> some sort of community guilt trip to get other people to do it for
> you. That's dishonest and off-putting.

    No, the problem is that these things are broken.

    Python is the only major open source project I've encountered where
there's so much hostility to bug reports.

    For a while, I tried submitting long, detailed bug reports showing
where in the C code a problem lies, and pointing out ways to fix it.
But I don't want to take over maintenance on the SSL package;
it's too delicate.

				John Nagle