Python does not play well with others

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Jan 23 21:33:12 EST 2007

At Tuesday 23/1/2007 22:50, John Nagle wrote:

>    The major complaint I have about Python is that the packages
>which connect it to other software components all seem to have
>serious problems.  As long as you don't need to talk to anything
>outside the Python world, you're fine.  But once you do, things
>go downhill.

That appears to be your situation.

>MySQLdb has version and platform compatibility
>problems.

Which, specifically?

>So does M2Crypto.

Both of them are third-party libraries maintained by volunteer people
(and I could ask why do you menction M2Crypto specifically?)

>The built-in SSL support is weak.
>Even basic sockets don't quite work right; the socket module
>encapsulates the timeout mechanism but doesn't get it right.

I use several packages connecting to the "outside Python" world
without problems. If you have these specific problems, perhaps you
could try to fix them? Get funding to make them fixed? Do the funding yourself?

>    In the Perl, Java, PHP, and C/C++ worlds, the equivalent
>functions just work.   That's because, in those worlds, either the
>development team for the language or the development team
>for the subsystem takes responsibility for making them work.
>Only Python doesn't do that.

I think that it was done because *someone* was sponsoring the
development (like IBM, Sun, and others).

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.