python+ncurses: I can't display accents

Neil Cerutti horpner at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 02:26:19 EST 2007

On 2007-01-27, Thomas Dickey <dickey at saltmine.radix.net> wrote:
> Neil Cerutti <horpner at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I don't really expect it to work, but if anything will, that
>> is it. Curses supports only ASCII and a some special symbol
>> codes defined by curses.
>
> un - no.  Curses supports whatever the flavor of curses you
> have does. Often that's the 8-bit flavor of ncurses, but the
> limitation is definitely in the python configuration.

Thanks for the clarification. I was going by the some Python
documentation, but I did notice contradictory information in
other discussion. The 8-bit ncurses is supposed to support
iso-8859-1 through iso-8859-15, i.e., all the byle encodings. I
don't know why Python's bindings don't work.

--
Neil Cerutti