Parallel Python

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Jan 12 09:08:38 EST 2007

Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> That's one more project... It seems that there is significant
> interest in parallel computing in Python. Perhaps we should start a
> special interest group? Not so much in order to work on a single
> project; I believe that at the current state of parallel computing we
> still need many different approaches to be tried. But an exchange of
> experience could well be useful for all of us.

I think a special interest group might be productive, but I've seen
varying levels of special interest in the different mailing lists
associated with such groups: the Web-SIG list started with enthusiasm,
produced a cascade of messages around WSGI, then dried up; the XML-SIG
list seems to be a sorry indication of how Python's XML scene has
drifted onto other matters; other such groups have also lost their
momentum.

It seems to me that a more useful first step would be to create an
overview of the different modules and put it on the python.org Wiki:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/FrontPage
http://wiki.python.org/moin/UsefulModules (a reasonable entry point)

If no-one beats me to it, I may write something up over the weekend.

Paul