division by 7 efficiently ???

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Wed Jan 31 22:36:25 EST 2007

krypto.wizard at gmail.com wrote:
> Its not an homework. I appeared for EA sports interview last month. I
> was asked this question and I got it wrong. I have already fidlled
> around with the answer but I don't know the correct reasoning behind
> it.

    The answer to that question is that the fastest way to divide
by 7 is to use the divide instruction.   You'd have to go down
to a really old 8-bit microprocessor like the Intel 8051 to
find something where bit-twiddling like that pays off.

    And no way would this be a win in Python, which is
interpreted.

				John Nagle