Parallel Python

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 10 16:32:13 EST 2007

In article <mailman.2545.1168463082.32031.python-list at python.org>,
"Carl J. Van Arsdall" <cvanarsdall at mvista.com> writes:

|> Just as something to note, but many HPC applications will use a
|> combination of both MPI and threading (OpenMP usually, as for the
|> underlying thread implementation i don't have much to say).  Its
|> interesting to see on this message board this huge "anti-threading"
|> mindset, but the HPC community seems to be happy using a little of both
|> depending on their application and the topology of their parallel
|> machine.  Although if I was doing HPC applications, I probably would not
|> choose to use Python but I would write things in C or FORTRAN.

That is a commonly quoted myth.

Some of the ASCI community did that, but even they have backed off
to a great extent.  Such code is damn near impossible to debug, let
alone tune.  To the best of my knowledge, no non-ASCI application
has ever done that, except for virtuosity.  I have several times
asked claimants to name some examples of code that does that and is
used in the general research community, and have so far never had a
response.

I managed the second-largest HPC system in UK academia for a decade,
ending less than a year ago, incidentally, and was and am fairly well
in touch with what is going on in HPC world-wide.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.