array of class / code optimization

Neil Cerutti horpner at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 3 13:27:01 EST 2007

On 2007-01-03, Jussi Salmela <tiedon_jano at hotmail.com> wrote:
> hg kirjoitti:
>> mm wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it was the (), equivalent to thiks like new() create new object
>>> from class xy.
>>> s1.append(Word())
>>>
>>> But I was looking for a "struct" equivalent like in c/c++.
>>> And/or "union". I can't find it.
>>>
>>> Maybe you know a source (URL) "Python for c/c++ programmers" or things
>>> like that.
>>>

>>> Yes, I konw whats an object is...
>>

>> A struct in C is unrelated to a struct in C++ as a struct in C++ _is_ a
>> class.
>>

>> hg
>
> What does your sentence mean, exactly? If I take a C file xyz.c
> containing a struct definition S, say, rename it to be xyz.cpp
> and feed it to a C++ compiler, the S sure remains a struct and
> the C++ compiler has no difficulty in handling it as a struct,
> so ?!?

That's true.

But it's also true that

struct foo {
  int x, y;
};

is exactly equivalent to:

class foo {
  public:
    int x, y;
};

The only difference between struct and class in C++ is the
default access specification of its members.

--
Neil Cerutti
For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a nursery