Bizarre floating-point output

Ziga Seilnacht ziga.seilnacht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 13:16:54 EST 2007

Nick Maclaren wrote:

> Well, it's not felt necessary to distinguish those at top level, so
> why should it be when they are in a sequence?

Well, this probably wasn't the best example, see the links below
for a better one.

> But this whole thing is getting ridiculous.  The current implementation
> is a bizarre interpretation of the specification, but clearly not an
> incorrect one.  It isn't important enough to get involved in a religious
> war over - I was merely puzzled as to the odd behaviour, because I have
> to teach it, and it is the sort of thing that can confuse naive users.

There was a recent bug report identical to your complaints, which
was closed as invalid. The rationale for closing it was that things
like:

print ("a, bc", "de f,", "gh), i")

would be extremely confusing if the current behaviour was changed. See
http://www.python.org/sf/1534769
for details.

Ziga