Recommendations (or best practices) to define functions (or methods)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jan 8 02:25:13 EST 2007

vizcayno schrieb:
> Need your help in the "correct" definition of the next function. If
> necessary, I would like to know about a web site or documentation that
> tells me about best practices in defining functions, especially for
> those that consider the error exceptions management.

I agree with George Sakkis' remarks. The best way to define this function is

def ExecuteSQL(cmdSQL, cursor):
  return cursor.execute(cmdSQL)

If this raises an exception, it likely means there is something
wrong with the SQL statement. The program should abort, and the
developer should correct it.

Regards,
Martin