Is any python like linux shell?

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Mon Jan 22 01:10:17 EST 2007

Frank Potter wrote:
> I learned some python in windows.
> And now I've turned to linux.
> I read a book and it teaches how to write shell script with bash,
> but I don't feel like the grammar of bash.
> Since I know about python,
> I want to get a linux shell which use python grammar.
> I searched by google and I found pysh, which is not maintained any
> more.
> There's another script named pyshell, which is not likely what I'm
> searching for.
> So, will somebody please tell me if there are any python like shells
> for linux?

Best is to do simple things (ls, mv, rm, cp) via bash or tcsh and to use
python for things of any greater complexity (even slightly more complex).

My strongest advice would be to let go of the idea of "shell scripting"
altogether and begin to write programs built from libraries to solve
your problems. The mere act of beginning to write a shell script (in,
say, bash) will tie you to that "language", even when you realize your
task was much more complex than you had originally imagined. It has
happened to me time and time again.

James