DOS, UNIX and tabs

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 12:21:49 EST 2007

On 1/1/07, Tom Plunket <tomas at fancy.org> wrote:

> Maybe I'm also weird, but I use a variable-pitch font when programming
> in Python.  So a "tab equals some number of spaces" really isn't useful
> to me.  My setup is, "tab equals this much space".

A year ago I would have thought you were weird, but after reading a
post by Ed Leafe, one of the creators of Dabo about using proportional
fonts for readability, I thought I'd try it out, thinking that it was
pretty wacky. Turns out that after a very brief adjustment period, I
liked it! I've been using proportional fonts ever since, and have
found only one drawback: code that is indented with spaces looks
butt-ugly. I'm glad I switched to tabs for my code.

--

# p.d.