The reliability of python threads

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 16:22:43 EST 2007

In article <ep8gue$3tu$1 at panix3.panix.com>,
aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:

|> My response is that you're asking the wrong questions here.  Our database
|> server locked up hard Sunday morning, and we still have no idea why (the
|> machine itself, not just the database app).  I think it's more important
|> to focus on whether you have done all that is reasonable to make your
|> application reliable -- and then put your efforts into making your app
|> recoverable.

Absolutely!  Shit happens.  In a well-designed world, that would not be
the case, but we don't live in one.  Until you have identified the cause,
you can't tell if threading has anything to do with the failure - given
what we know, it seems likely, but what Aahz says is how to tackle the
problem WHATEVER the cause.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.