new office formats, REs and Python

tubby tubby at bandaheart.com
Wed Jan 3 20:07:56 EST 2007

How are Python users dealing with some of the new OASIS Open Document
formats (Open Office) or MS Open XML formats. These formats store data
in a file which is actual a zip archive that contains numerous files and
folders. For example, a file saved from Open Office 2.0 named 'test.odt'
can be unzipped into many parts... content.xml, meta.xml, settings.xml,
etc, etc.

How can I read these files do re searching and matching on them, etc?
content.xml may have a string I'm searching for, but how would I attach
that back to the original 'test.odt' file?

Perl seems to have a module to handle this, does Python?

http://search.cpan.org/dist/OpenOffice-OODoc/