Ip address

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Jan 30 00:26:59 EST 2007

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> There is absolutely no need to know the IP address of "your router" to
>> communicate with Internet devices. Either your IP layer is configured to
>> know the addresses of one or more routers, or it has discovered those
>> address by dynamic means, or you can't get off-net because there aren't
>> any routers.
>
> ... or you can't get off-net because you don't *know* the routers.

What I know or don't know makes absolutely no difference to whether my
computer can reach the Internet, it's a matter of whether the IP layes
is configured to know the appropriate address to which it can hand off
non-local traffic.

If you are trying to say that it's necessary to know the IP address of
the routers in order to select a specific interface address from the
available choices as "the Internet interface" then kindly say so and
stop wallowing in semantic obscurity.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden