PDF rendering toolkit?

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 10:47:04 EST 2007

On 1/5/07, Jorge Vargas <jorge.vargas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a tool to take an actual .pdf file and display it in a
> window (I'm using wxwidgets at the moment)
>
> I have found several project but none seem to do what I need.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfplayground seems like a nice
> toolkit to edit pdf files with python code, but nothing about
> rendering.
>
> I have find out http://poppler.freedesktop.org/ but there seems to be
> no python bindings for it.
>
> there is also an example at http://www.daniweb.com/code/snippet618.html
> using wx.lib.pdfwin but that is windows only, I need at least Linux
> support better if it's platform independant as python *should* be
>
> and the reportlabs BSD packages can't do this.
> http://www.reportlab.org/devfaq.html#2.1.5
>
> anyone knows of a toolkit to do this? bonus points if's it is already
> integrated into wxpython
> --

Rendering PDF is quite hard, much harder than writing it. There are
relatively few PDF rendering solutions for any platform, and it's
non-trivial to merge one with a specific UI solution. So I'm not aware
of any cross-platform solution. Most PDF usage either embeds the Adobe
ActiveX control (on windows) or just shunts it off the user to find a
working PDF viewer.