PQueue and Python 2.5

Berteun Damman berteun at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 09:28:10 EST 2007

Hello,

Recently I was looking for a Priority Queue module, and I've found
Pqueue by Andrew Snare [1]. When I use it with Python 2.4 everything
works okay, at least on the two system I've tested it on (Debian based
AMD 64) and OS PPC.

However, when I use it with Python 2.5 - again on the same machines,
exiting always gives a pointer error. The easiest to demonstrate this
is:

python2.5 -c 'from pqueue import PQueue; PQueue()'

On the Debian system:
$ python2.5 -c 'from pqueue import PQueue; PQueue()'
*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x00002ad7b5720288 ***
Abort

And on my PowerBook:
python2.5(8124) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not malloced:
0x3b4218; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the
middle of an allocated block;

A memory fault can also be immediately triggered by apply 'del' to a
PQueue-instance. As said, with Python 2.4 it seems to perform without
problems.

I haven't got a clue how to investigate this, but I would be willing to
help if someone has any ideas.

Berteun

[1] http://py.vaults.ca/apyllo.py/514463245.769244789.44776582