when will python 2.5 take in mainstream?

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Feb 6 09:05:09 EST 2007

On 6 Feb 2007 04:45:35 -0800, Ben Sizer <kylotan at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Feb 5, 4:15 pm, Jean-Paul Calderone <exar... at divmod.com> wrote:
>> It's very easy to maintain compatibility in the C API.  I'm much more
>> interested in compatibility at the Python layer, which is changed
>> incompatibly much, much more frequently than is the C layer.
>
>Really? In all cases I've found, pure-Python extensions written for
>2.4 work with 2.5. The same was true for 2.3 to 2.4 as well. And even
>if I found one that didn't, it's highly likely I could fix it myself.

If you have to fix it yourself, then it's broken, wouldn't you say?

Huge amounts of my pure Python code was broken by Python 2.5.  So yes,
it happens.  The same _wasn't_ true for 2.3 to 2.4 though.  Python 2.5
was pretty unusual in this regard.

>The same doesn't apply to any C compiled extensions. Updating Python
>breaks these, every time, and users typically have to wait months for
>the library developer to compile a new version, every time. Or maybe
>they can wade through the morass of "how do I compile this library on
>Windows" threads here. Perhaps the C API remains the same but the real
>issue is the binary API between extensions and Python changes every
>couple of years or so. That's why I run 2.4 anywhere that needs
>extensions.

Sure, this happens too.  I didn't suggest it doesn't, I just pointed out
that I was less interested in it. :)

Jean-Paul