threading and multicores, pros and cons

Maric Michaud maric at aristote.info
Tue Feb 13 23:07:51 EST 2007

This is a recurrent problem I encounter when I try to sell python solutions to
my customers. I'm aware that this problem is sometimes overlooked, but here
is the market's law.

I've heard of a bunch of arguments to defend python's choice of GIL, but I'm
not quite sure of their technical background, nor what is really important
and what is not. These discussions often end in a prudent "python has made a
choice among others"... which is not really convincing.

If some guru has made a good recipe, or want to resume the main points it
would be really appreciated.

regards,

--

Maric Michaud