Python does not play well with others

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Feb 3 16:36:03 EST 2007

    Paul> Why would I expect your employer to solve my problems anyway, even
    Paul> if they relate to some module that you actually use?

Your reasoning seems to be that Python should contain the functional union
of everything at least in Java and PHP if not Perl, Ruby and Tcl as well.
Free software or not, each person who contributes to the development of the
Python core has to put food on the table.  As an example, I suspect most
core Java development is funded directly by Sun who pays its employees to
develop libraries, JIT compilers and the like.  While my employer pays me to
program in Python I'm not paid to develop core Python code.  What little I
do is done on my own time.

If you want to turn the Python distribution into a kitchen sink, make the
argument on python-dev and be prepared to shoulder your share of the burden
should your arguments sway the group as a whole.

Skip