Pep 3105: the end of print?

Fri Feb 16 10:17:23 EST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:49:03 -0500, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:32:21 +1100, Steven D'Aprano
>> [snip]
>>
>>I don't think that follows at all. print is only a problem if you expect
>>your code to work under both Python 2.x and 3.x. I wouldn't imagine
>>that many people are going to expect that: I know I don't.
>
> I think some people are confused that the language "Python 3.x" has "Python"
> in its name, since there is already a language with "Python" in its name,
> with which it is not compatible.

There is no language "Python 3" -- yet. We're still all guessing just
how compatible it will be with Python 2.

To be precise, there is an experimental Python 3, but the specifications
of the language are not fixed yet.

As for the name... big deal. C and C++ and Objective C are completely
different languages. Fortran 77 and Fortran 90 aren't exactly the same;
nobody expects the same code to run unmodified on Forth 77 and FigForth,
or any of another three dozen varieties of Forth.

And dare I mention Java and Javascript?

Even in the Python world, nobody expects to run the same code base under
C Python and Jython and IronPython and PyPy.

--
Steven.