Python does not play well with others

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Feb 4 17:32:58 EST 2007

Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> Having said all that, perhaps those who are complaining about lack of
> support for specific features in mod_python can now clarify what
> actually you are talking about. At the moment the brief comments being
> made seem to possibly cover some things that mod_python can already do
> but may not be obvious.

I had a more complete response to this before Google Groups and my
browser went into "stupid mode" together, but I'd like to say that I
don't have any complaints about mod_python, but I know that there were
people who claimed [1] that PHP had its "safe mode" [2] which gave
isolation to applications belonging to different users in the same
Apache instance, asserting that mod_python not having that particular
feature prevented wider adoption of Python in the hosting business.

It's good to see a clarification of mod_python and its position in
relation to such issues, though. I don't really share the concerns
mentioned, and wouldn't want to be using or providing services of the
kind previously discussed, anyway. Instead, I'd want to deploy
applications using other techniques such as virtualisation, rather
than throwing customers into the same Web server and, apparently in
the case of PHP, relying on hearsay about whether they can interfere
with each other. I note that the creator of mod_python seems to have a
similar perspective on virtualisation, given the nature of his hosting
company's services.

Paul

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/
469dd47f5c1ad521