design question: no new attributes

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Wed Feb 28 09:39:23 EST 2007

> However I will observe that
> - entire languages are structured on the premise that dynamic
> attribute creation can be hazardous

Yup, and you are free to use one of them. And as an additional benefit, they
will be more performant because you then can optimize the code further.

But they certainly do need more code to accomplish the same things easily
done in python (or other dynamic languages for that matter)

> - debuggers watch out for dynamic attribute creation, which
> tells us it is a common source of bugs
> - I sincerely doubt that anyone who has written more than
> a couple scripts in Python has never accidentally created an
> attribute dynamically while intending to assign to an existing
> attribute.

Certainly that happened, but not in a number of occasions that its impact on
every day programming isn't dwarfed by the much more prevalent gain in
productivity using python.

You strive for the combination of disadvantages of statically typed
languages with the disadvantages of a dynamically typed one.

Not too much of an convincing goal IMHO.

Diez