Jobs: Lisp and Python programmers wanted in the LA area

Tech HR tech-hr at smartcharter.com
Mon Feb 26 10:23:29 EST 2007

In article <1172482314.598240.3440 at j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com>,
 dixkey at gmail.com wrote:

> On Feb 26, 6:32 am, Tech HR <tech... at smartcharter.com> wrote:
> > Our
> > website is currently a LAMP appication with P=Python. We are looking for
> > bright motivated people who know or are willing to learn Python and/or
> > Linux, Apache and MySQL system administration skills. (And if you want
> > to convince us that we should switch over to Postgres, we're willing to
> > listen.)
> This is more out of curiosity, but does it mean that you wouldn't be
> willing to listen about a switch from Python to Lisp?

No, it doesn't mean that.  In fact, there is a significant faction in
the technical staff (including the CTO) who would like nothing better
than to be able to use Lisp instead of Python.  But we have some pretty
compelling reasons to stick with Python, not least of which is that it
is turning out to be very hard to find Lisp programmers.  (Actually,
it's turning out to be hard to find Python programmers too, but it's
easier to train a Java programmer or a Perler on Python than Lisp.  We
also have fair bit of infrastructure built up in Python at this point.)

But we're a very young company (barely six months old at this point) so
we're willing to listen to most anything at this point.  (We're using
Darcs for revision control.  Haskell, anyone?)