Any python scripts to do parallel downloading?

Jan Danielsson jan.m.danielsson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 03:33:36 EST 2007

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
[---]
>> Software is hard.
>
> But I absolutely agree with this point, anyway :)  Software is _crazy_
> hard.  I merely dispute the claim that threads are somehow _easier_. :)

   Threads aren't easier. Nor are they harder. They are just different.
I used to be heavily into OS/2 programming. In OS/2, you use threads
heavily - almost by tradition. Its relatively low context switch latency
and its nice set of IPC routines (almost all API's are thread safe and
reentrant), make developing multithreaded applications quite natural.

   Guess what happened when I started programming on NetBSD and Windows.
I struggled to write singlethreaded applications(!). I was so used to
kicking off a worker thread as soon as I needed to do something that I
knew could just as well be done in the background. An I *constantly*
thought in terms of "How could I make full use of an SMP system?".

   I would never claim that multithreading is *easier* than
singlethreaded. It's mererly a different way of thinking.

   OTOH, multithreaded does have a steeper learning curve. But once you
get past that, there's really not a lot of difference, IMHO. YMMV.

--
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson