Newbie in the deep - some PyGTK questions

Dieter Verfaillie dieterv at optionexplicit.be
Mon Feb 26 17:09:19 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 20:58 +0000, nmp wrote:
> I did that and it works now :) Thank you, I had indeed been playing with
> those options but not being entirely sure what they did I also forgot
> about them...

Happy it worked out :)

> Yes, I found that a short time after I posted my question and this seems
> to be the way to go indeed. I already copied some code from somewhere that
> worked. Now, it could just be me but I *still* find the Gtk/TreeView thing
> confusing. To master it will take me a bit more time than I thought, but
> it seems to be one of the most important pieces of the toolkit so I see I
> will pretty much have to invest that time. Thank you for mentioning it too.

Yep, it can be confusing at first, but once you get your head wrapped
around it, it's a really powerful system. I've dug up some bookmarks
about the GtkTree(View|Model|Store) and its Model/View/Controller
approach. They might help you understand the big picture
- a short overview:
http://liw.iki.fi/liw/texts/gtktreeview-tutorial.html
- and as noted on that page, Tim Müller's tutorial:
http://scentric.net/tutorial/
This one uses C, but is still very informative, even for a python
programmer.

There's also a lot of information in section 13 of the pygtk faq:
http://www.async.com.br/faq/pygtk/index.py?req=index

hth,
Dieter