Python 3.0 unfit for serious work?

Paul Rubin http
Tue Feb 20 21:14:56 EST 2007

John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> writes:
>      There's always the possiblity that Python 3 won't happen.  Look at
> what happened with Perl 6.  That's been talked about for
> seven years now.  The user base just wasn't interested.
> Perl 5 was good enough, and users migrated to PHP for the
> little stuff and other languages for the bigger stuff.
> As Wikipedia says, "As of 2007, Perl 6 was still under development,
> with no planned completion date."

I like to think PyPy will replace CPython as the main Python
implementation.  Python 3.0 can then fork the language fairly
radically, like C++ vs C (ok, not so attractive an example) or Scheme
vs Lisp.  Both dialects would stay active.

It seems to me that the flavor of Python programming has changed
significantly over the past few releases.  That trend will likely
continue and even accelerate.