mplayer bug or python bug?

Szabolcs Nagy nszabolcs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 16:25:45 EST 2007

Marco wrote:
> The following code is my test program for control mplayer.
> in movies/ there are about 20 movies, the code plays them in circle,
> but mplayer will crash silently after a circle, the "sliently" means I
> can handle popen2 without except, but no movie.

i had some problem with mplayer slave mode too.

everything worked ok, but after some movies i got "broken pipe"
"caught signal xy" error message on stderr and mplayer quit.

mplayer always crashed on the same files and always at the very end
(which you normally don't notice since you only want to view 1 file so
probably it has nothing to do with slave mode, but buggy mplayer +
buggy files)

my solution was: check for error and restart mplayer if it crashed (i
parsed every output so i knew where are we in the playlist)

btw if you just want to use the script to play files in loop, then
mplayer has a -loop option as well.