ez_setup.py

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Feb 26 10:33:30 EST 2007

Nader Emami wrote:
> L.S.,
>
> I have installed locally Python-2.4.4 without any problem. Then I would
> install the "ez_setup.py" to be able using of "easy_install" tool, but I
> get the next error:
>
> %python ez_setup.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "ez_setup.py", line 223, in ?
>      main(sys.argv[1:])
>    File "ez_setup.py", line 155, in main
>      egg = download_setuptools(version, delay=0)
>    File "ez_setup.py", line 111, in download_setuptools
>      import urllib2, shutil
>    File "/usr/people/emami/lib/python2.4/urllib2.py", line 108, in ?
>      import cookielib
>    File "/usr/people/emami/lib/python2.4/cookielib.py", line 35, in ?
>      from calendar import timegm
>    File "/usr/people/emami/calendar.py", line 23, in ?
>      import pygtk
> ImportError: No module named pygtk
>
> I don't understand what is the problem! Could somebody tell me what I
> have to do to solve it?

You have a module called "calendar" in your user directory
/usr/people/emami/calendar.py which is shadowing the stdlib
calendar module -- which doesn't get used much so you've
probably never noticed. Either rename your local one or take
your home folder off the Python path... at least for long enough
for ez_setup to do its stuff.

TJG