Database Programming with Python

fumanchu fumanchu at amor.org
Fri Feb 9 12:00:20 EST 2007

On Feb 9, 7:28 am, Finger.Octo... at gmail.com wrote:
> I wanted to connect Python to Ms-Access database using ADO or ODBC. I
> have Python 2.5 and on mxODBC site, it has no higher version build
> than 2.4. Moreoever, mxODBC is required for ADODB.
> Can anyone guide me on this what should I do to make it work on Python
> 2.5? I have python 2.5 running on server.

You could use Dejavu 1.5, which has its own wrapper [1] for ADO (both
MS Access and SQL Server/MSDE). No ODBC necessary or desired.

If you want an ADO wrapper without the full Dejavu ORM, it's possible
(but not heavily documented) to use dejavu's geniusql layer on its
own. That would give you connection mgmt (and pooling), along with the
ability to execute arbitrary SQL.

Robert Brewer
System Architect
Amor Ministries