Calling J from Python

Gosi gosinn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 03:05:17 EST 2007

On Feb 6, 3:04 am, "Eric_Dex... at msn.com" <Eric_Dex... at msn.com> wrote:
> On Feb 5, 8:48 am, "Gosi" <gos... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It is quite easy to call J from Python
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/J-Programming/browse_thread/thread/5e8...
>
> There are a couple of issue that should be adressed.  Am I going to
> jail if I write a program and then redistribute all the files required
> to run the program I write??

J is free for anyone to download and use.

If someone is interested in putting you in jail it will not because
you distribute J or redistribute the J utilities.

> The second is how do I use the j stuff
> without learning all that much about j.

Just like Python then how much time you spend is uo to you.

If you want to be good at it you may have to spend some time.

You may also be just a casual user and dip into it now and again.

There are lots of Demos, Labs and Help files besides all the
utilities.

You can freely use the utilities and examples to create your own
application.

You can write code in conventional style and not spend any time on the
advanced functionality.

> I am just intrested in
> stealing graphics libraries and using what I have already written in
> python..

There are a number of graphics examples, utilities and demos you can
use in J and combine it with Python.

The new grid classes in J are amazingly useful too.

I am just starting to learn Python and I find it interesting to
combine it with J.
I know a few people who are doing so successfully.

There are always some nicetise in any language that can be beneficial.
Combining them enhances both.

http://groups.google.com/group/j-programming
http://jsoftware.com/