Vim scripting with python

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Feb 12 19:56:26 EST 2007

"J. Clifford Dyer" <webmaster at cacradicalgrace.org> writes:

> Which versions of vim is this valid for?  I tried ":py print 'Hello'",
> and got "E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version"

The ability of Vim to run Python commands is one of many optional
features that can be enabled or disabled when the program is
built. This allows a Vim program runtime of reasonable size (where
"reasonable" is decided by the person building the program); many of
the optional features are quite large, and building all of them into
the program would be a poor choice.

To find out what features are explicitly enabled or disabled in your
Vim program, type ':version'. The feature 'python' will be listed as
'+python' if enabled, '-python' if disabled.

If it's disabled and you want it enabled, you'll need to rebuild Vim
with that option enabled; or find someone who's done the same
(preferably the same person you got your default Vim from) and install
that program.

--
 \            "If you continue running Windows, your system may become |
  `\                 unstable."  -- Microsoft, Windows 95 BSOD message |