Python compiled on Windows

Franz Steinhaeusler franz.steinhaeusler at gmx.at
Tue Feb 6 04:06:38 EST 2007

On 6 Feb 2007 08:35:08 GMT, Duncan Booth <duncan.booth at invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Franz Steinhaeusler <franz.steinhaeusler at gmx.at> wrote:
>
>> @Duncan: Yes, you are not wrong! :)
>> But this is not really open source in my opinion.
>> Ok there is the VC++ toolkit for download.
>
>Which I agree totally is a real pain finding the right versions to
>download.
>

>> I'm just curious, if there ever had compiled on windows using
>> that toolkit or even with gcc, and with gcc, whether there are
>> problems or/and differences in speed and run time behaviour.
>>

>Yes, people have compiled Python with gcc on windows. I believe it is
>slightly slower than the standard release, but I would guess that may
>depend on the exact versions of gcc/msc you choose to compare, and the
>exact compiler options you choose (or I may even be imagining it
>entirely).

I cannot imagine, that there is a decisive difference, especially as
in gcc, you have also a couple of options.

>As I understand it, you can use Mingw to compile extension modules which
>are compatible with the standard release of Python, and of course there
>is always cygwin.
>
>But I still don't understand what difference it makes to anyone between:
>
>an application (could be open or closed source) running on an open
>source language (Python) compiled with a closed source compiler on a
>closed source OS.
>
>versus
>
>an application (could be open or closed source) running on an open
>source language (Python) compiled with an open source compiler on a
>closed source OS.

For me it's more a issue of "principle". :)
Ok, the OS is as it is, but the "layer" is more open.

If there would be no toolkit, you have to buy (and many have bought
Visual Studio) for open source projects, and that is the point,
where I cannot make friend with me.

>at the end of the day you still have a mix of open and closed source
>components. If it makes you feel better to be using an open source
>compiler that's fine, but it doesn't really do anything for me.

Ok, I let your opinion, it is also fine with me! :)