Definitions of editor and IDE?

Paddy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Sun Feb 4 06:17:44 EST 2007

On Feb 4, 9:01 am, Necmettin Begiter <necmettin.begi... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> 04 Şub 2007 Paz 00:48 tarihinde, Dick Moores şunları yazmıştı:>  Are there generally accepted definitions of "editor" and "IDE". Is there a
> > clear-cut distinction between them? I've been looking at the lists of each
> > at python.org, <http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors>  and <
> >http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments>. Many
> > programs are on both lists: Komodo, Eclipse, jedit, SPE, Wing IDE, UliPad,
> > etc.
>
> >  Dick Moores
>
> Can't give definitions, but here is the difference: if you use an editor, you
> will have to run your script or program from outside the editor; if you use
> an IDE, you will press a key or key combination in the IDE (say F9 or F5) and
> your program/script will run...

Hmm, is vim an editor or an IDE?
By the above definition it would be an IDE because under the tools
menu you can run make or compilers/interpreters.
It has probably got to the stage that its a continuum from something
like Eclipse or SPE that are definitely IDE's through to ed and
notepad which are editors.

- Pad.