how can I create/set a 'file' reference in a attribute of a class

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Mon Feb 26 17:31:41 EST 2007

ken wrote:

> Hi,
> i have a class:
>
> class LogHandler(ContentHandler):
>     # a reference to a file open by some other function/class
>     outputFile;

What do you intend to achieve with this last line, and what's
the ';' for?

> First, I get an error saying 'NameError: global name 'outputFile'
> is not defined' , how can I declare outputFile as a 'file
> reference'?

If I'm not mistaken it would be best to read the Python tutorial.

> Second , how can I set this file reference after I create the
> object 'LogHandler'?

You shouldn't create an object that has the same name as its class.

Anyway, you can open a file using

var = file("/path/to/file")

> How can I do that?
> f = open('dummyFile.txt');
> curHandler = LogHandler()
> curHandler.file = f

Is it this you want to do?

class LogHandler(ContentHandler):
    pass

f = file("dummyfile.txt")
curHandler = LogHandler()
curHandler.file = f

Seems quite pointless to me.

I'm still confused about your intentions.

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #111: