strange problem using modules from my own package.

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Feb 8 21:46:29 EST 2007

En Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:40:39 -0300, krishnakant Mane
<researchbase at gmail.com> escribió:

> I found a very strange kind of behaviour in python with my own package.
> I created a package in which there were 4 modules and one __init__.py
> file
> I created the entire project in eclipse (pydev).
> it works fine there with the ide.
> but now when I try running the code without eclipse, that is when I
> run the individual .py file from a command promt it gives me error.
> for example I have mainwindow.py, customer.py,  stock.py and of course
> __init__p.py in my package
> the app is in wxpython which is not important in the context of this
> problem.
> never the less I go in the directory called pbcf which is the name of
> my package
> there I have all the above mentioned files and the mainwindow.py file
> is the one I run for testing all the menus.
> but here the moment I run the file, it starts giving me an error
> saying pbcf is not a module.
> I find that the same code runs without any problem in eclipse.
> in mainwindow.py I have from pbcf import * and in __init__.py I have
> of course included MySQLdb and wx
> and in __init__.py I have a connection object called CONCSS.
> now when I have all the imports in mainwindow, it does work in eclipse
> but does not on a normal command prompt.
> why is this?
> regards.
> Krishnakant.

It's a bit hard to tell from your description - would be better if you had
copied the exact error messages.
But the overall architecture looks wrong - a package is a *library*, and
it is *used* by others.
Your main application should be a standalone script that uses (imports)
the package.
Look at how other Python applications are structured.

--
Gabriel Genellina