Python does not play well with others

Paul Rubin http
Mon Feb 5 13:39:45 EST 2007

John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> writes:
> > The GIL doesn't affect seperate processes, and any large server that
> > cares about stability is going to be running a pre-forking MPM no
> > matter what language they're supporting.
>
>    Pre-forking doesn't reduce load; it just improves responsiveness.
> You still pay for loading all the modules on every request.  For
> many AJAX apps, the loading cost tends to dominate the transaction.

I think the idea is that each pre-forked subprocess has its own
mod_python that services multiple requests serially.

New to me is the idea that you can have multiple separate Python
interpreters in a SINGLE process (mentioned in another post).  I'd
thought that being limited to one interpreter per process was a
significant and hard-to-fix limitation of the current CPython
implementation that's unlikely to be fixed earlier than 3.0.