Help Required for Choosing Programming Language

Stef Mientki S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl
Sat Feb 17 17:44:34 EST 2007

>> - designing the GUI will cost me about 2 .. 3 times as much in Python
>
> You mean delphi here I presume?
No, but if that's your believe ..
Some examples:
- Creating a treeview (like in the M$ explorer), with full edit capabilities and full drag & drop
facilities: Delphi takes about 40 lines of code (most of them even ^C ^V).
- Creating a graphical overview of relations between database tables, which can be graphical
manipulated by the user (like in M$ Access): Delphi 20 lines of code.
I wonder what this costs in Python ?

>> - Python is not capable of doing everything I need
>> (almost all interactive actions are very primitive and crashes a lot)
>
> I'm not sure what you are talking about here, and I have the deep
> impression you yourself don't as well.
I'm not an (educated) programmer, so I don't always use the right terms :-(
If I look at a well established program like DIA,
and see that it still can't repaint it's screen always correctly, ...
If I just look at MathPlotLib ;-)
But I also know one beautiful program based on wx: KICAD.

> Matter of factly, there is no "the python GUI". There are quite a few
> choices. The built-in tkinter, which - while limited in some senses - is
> developed by Frederik Lundh, and while I personally haven't done too
> much with it, his reputation as one of the most high profiled python
> developers doesn't go along pretty well with your assertions above. So
> -whatever you used as GUI-toolkit, you either used it wrong, or it
> really wasn't good.
>
> But then there are at least three major other toolkits available, wx,
> gtk and Qt. The first two I've only dabbled a bit with and can't comment
> on.
>
> But I've done extensive, cross-platform development with Qt. And can
> assert that it is unmatched in productivity and feature richness,
> especially when combined with python. And certainly beat VB, and most
> probably even delphi (albeit I haven't done too much in that to really
> put all my weight behind these words).
>
> And so I'm under the strong impression that your - undoubtedly correct
> from a personal point of view, and I don't think your meaning evil here
> - observations are wrong and are based on a lack of experience in python
> and it's available gui-options.

I've been using Python for just 2 months, and didn't try any graphical design,
I've other priorities first.
I would love to see:
- a comparison between wx and gtk (QT doesn't have a very inviting license ;-)
- some Python applications that uses one of these graphical libraries.

To give you an impression of some features I'm after, I've prepared an animation (not completely
ready yet), of the program I've written in Delphi, with both embedded MatLab and embedded Python,
where MatLab or Python does all the real-time numerical analysis.
   http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/download/medilab_tot.htm
Writing this program, including teaching myself Python (with a lot of help of this group, thank you
all !!), and writing the bloodpressure analysis in both MatLab and Python, excluding the
ADC-drivers, costed me about 150 .. 200 hours ...
... can that be done be an experienced programmer in Python.

cheers,
Stef Mientki